The Education Improvement Scholarships Tax Credits program provides Virginia tax credits for persons or businesses making donations to approved scholarship foundations that, in turn, provide scholarships to eligible students to attend accredited private schools.
- Donors receive Virginia tax credits for 65% of the full value of the donation.
- Donors ALSO receive their usual state and federal charitable tax deductions.
- Both individuals and businesses are eligible to receive these tax credits.
- Tax credits (up to $25 million statewide) awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to a Department of Education pre-authorization process.
- Donations must be made to a scholarship foundation, not directly to a school.